Oceaneering Autonomous Software Engineer in Orlando, Florida
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
_The Advanced Technologies (ADTECH) group of Oceaneering is recognized as an industry leader in enabling humans to work safely and effectively in harsh environments ranging from the depths of the sea to the outer reaches of space. ADTECH specializes in the support of manned systems and the development and application of practical, cost-effective robotic systems in multiple industries.
ADTECH designs, builds, and operates unique underwater systems for the US Navy and provides life cycle maintenance services for Submarines and Deep Submergence Systems. ADTECH is developing the next generation space suit for NASA and provides robotic and spacecraft life support systems. ADTECH is also an award winning leader in design, build, and installation of theme park entertainment ride systems and provides intra-logistic solutions using AGV systems.
ADTECH's business areas are: Oceaneering Technologies, Marine Services Division, Oceaneering Space Systems, Oceaneering Entertainment Systems, Frog AGV Systems, and ADTECH Manufacturing Group._
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click on Non-Oilfield, then click on Naval and Marine Services.
The Senior Software Engineer with a focus on autonomous vehicles supports existing vehicle systems and the development of new vehicle systems used in the Themed Entertainment industry. The individual will work closely with other engineering disciplines to configure, integrate, modify, test, and implement existing software utilized on autonomous vehicle systems. The individual will also be involved in the continued support and development of current generation and next generation software used in the Themed Entertainment industry. The individual will support project and product developments from initial concept to final installation and commissioning. The individual will be required to develop software to meet industrial safety standards as well as Customer specific requirements. The individual will work in a disciplined software development environment to assure modifications and developments are properly documented, validated, and coordinated with other users of the core autonomous software within the Oceaneering International, Inc. organizations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with high level ride planning by helping to match the systems to the Customer’s concepts and needs
- Develop in-house software to be used to bring the pre-visualized project into production
- Implement, develop, test and install supervisory control software.
- Implement, develop, test and install vehicle system control software.
- Interface the vehicle software to vehicle control hardware such as motor controllers, proximity detectors, and wheel encoders.
- Configure the supervisory and vehicle software for the specific Customer application.
- Test the application software and interfaces to the vehicle system.
- Troubleshooting and fixing software issues.
- Writing requirements, detailed design documentation, and test cases.
- Develop software and networking for system data acquisition, data analysis, and data visualization
- Provide data acquisition and system visualization to assist production and troubleshooting (e.g. utilize logging tools for system feedback, measuring battery voltage drop during a ride circuit, wireless network troubleshooting, biodynamic data analysis)
- Use specialized developmental software and visualization tools to assist Customers in communicating their vision for the attraction
- Support the Engineering and Testing teams utilizing specialized tools to program and test systems
- Support Engineering, Testing, and Installation teams by developing specialized software tools, scripting, etc. to assist in efficiently executing project work
- In-field installation and testing support of ride systems and equipment during final installation and commissioning
- Provide in-service support for system issues after final delivery.
- Continuously improving our processes and procedures to optimize development efficiency.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, automation technology, robotics, artificial intelligence, control systems, mechatronics, computer engineering, mathematics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or related technical field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in writing application software for technical applications
- Proficient with Linux and knowledgeable of the Windows operating systems
- Experience programming in Java, C++, C, and Python
- Ability to pick up new software languages, interfaces, software tools
- Ability to read, understand, debug and modify existing product code
- Ability to act independently generating innovative solutions to complex problems
- Knowledge of object oriented design methodologies and design patterns
- Experience writing multithreaded software
- Experience programming serial, CAN and network communications (UDP and TCP)
- Experience writing control systems
- Understanding of networking hardware and software including UDP and TCP
- Working knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience with issue tracking systems, specific experience with Jira is a plus
- Experience with versions control systems, specific experience with Git a plus
- Experience with writing requirements, design documentation, and test cases
- Ability to read and understand wiring diagrams
- Working knowledge of electronic and electromechanical devices such as analog inputs and outputs, quadrature encodes, relays, solenoids, proximity sensors, etc.
- Customer focused attitude
- Willingness to travel and stay abroad several weeks at a time during system installation
- 0%-50% travel time throughout the year depending on project phase and project assignment
- Ability to remain calm and professional in a demanding and dynamic work environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint applications
- Excellent English written/oral communication and organizational skills
- Engineering experience in creative design, testing, programming, or virtual simulation environment, in support of the Theme Park/Entertainment Industry.
- Experience with controlling autonomous robots
- Experience developing equations of motion, kinematic equations, algorithms, and programming motion controls
- Experience developing navigation algorithms utilizing multiple sensor inputs, including waypoints
- Experience developing odometry, positioning, consistency, and localization algorithms utilizing diverse sensor data
- Experience developing custom device drivers for electrical devices and controls
- Experience developing models and programming in Matlab
- Experience developing, implementing, and programming SLAM algorithms
- Experience developing and/or using vision system data and algorithms
- Experience in artificial intelligence, neural networks, machine learning, image processing, and object recognition
- Experience in networking devices, wireless networking, including new technologies and protocols (ie. PRP)
- Experience in programming Allen Bradley PLCs using ControlLogix and Safety Task programming
- Familiarity with ISO 9000 design requirements
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Board Partnership
Job ID: 13555
Location: Orlando, Florida
Full/Part Time: Full-Time