Oceaneering Shop Sheetmetal Fabricator in Chesapeake, Virginia
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E;) systems.
*For more information please go to *www.oceaneering.com_ and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD)._
As a Shop Sheetmetal Fabricator for Oceaneering, you will be working in our state-of-the-art facility located in Chesapeake, VA, supporting our Marine Services Division. A normal day of work will consist of reading and interpreting blueprints, sketches, and product specifications to determine sequence and methods of fabricating, bending and assembling light gauge metal products. This position involves heavy lifting, plus frequent stooping and bending. Strict adherence to safety, quality standards, good housekeeping habits, a high level of critical thinking & reading comprehension, and the ability to work frequent overtime.
The successful candidate will:
- Have direct experience with sheet metal fabrication.
- Will be able to lay out, bend, cut and fabricate sheet metal in accordance with drawings and/or specifications.
- Will be capable and have knowledge of using various mechanical industrial tools such as drilling machines, grinders, sanders, table saws and rivet guns.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Requires no supervision and excels in all qualifications. Is an expert in all tasks required as a Sheet Metal Mechanic and will mentor junior craftsmen.
- Must be able to understand and perform the set up and operation of all fabrication machines and hand tools used in the trade.
- Read and understand complex terminology, blueprints, drawings and schematics to plan installation, modification or repair prior to commencing fabrication.
- Qualify as a Welder/Workmanship Inspector to perform welding of light gauge steel and aluminum material (SMAW/ GTAW) in accordance with OII Process Instructions and welding procedures.
- Fabricate and install fixtures, jigs, supports and targets to ensure proper alignment during welding processes.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional vocational courses or technical school graduate; and/or military and/or civilian experience with sheet metal/light gauge metals, in a repair department, fabrication shop or shipyard.
- Must have at least 5 years' experience with hydraulic brakes and shears, rollers, torches, saws, benders and various other shop based sheet metal fabrication equipment.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the lay-out and development of material for bending and rolling.
- Knowledge and practical skills tests required.
- Deep Submergence Systems (SOC MCD A, B, and C), SUBSAFE Qualification.
- Must be able to obtain a Security Clearance issued by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Applicant will be subject to periodic security investigations and must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US Government.
- In addition to the security clearance, this position may require an additional background screening for base access.
- Oceaneering Marine Services Division can only hire “US Citizens” who are not dual citizens of any other country to work at its’ facilities. You can verify your citizenship with the Self-Check through E-Verify (uscis.gov), if available in your state of residence
- This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Job ID: 14310
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia