Oceaneering Shipfitter in Chesapeake, Virginia
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E;) systems.
*For more information please go to *www.oceaneering.com_ and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD)._
Who You Are
- Strong & Agile – You love being active and athletic, especially outdoors or in precarious locations.
- Realistic — You excel at work that includes practical, hands-on skill and problem solving.
- Conventional — You appreciate being provided set procedures and routines and working with data and details more than with ideas.
- Traveler – You need a constant change of scenery; willing and able to pick up and go when duty calls.
What You Will be Doing
Traveling all over to work with some of the best Shipfitters in the industry providing services repairing, modifying and installing and dismantling various shipboard hulls, bulkheads or decks. You will be designing and fabricating complex fixtures and jigs. This role Involves heavy lifting, frequent stooping, bending and possible working assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces or beneath machinery. Strict adherence to safety, quality standards, good housekeeping habits, high level of critical thinking/reading comprehension are essential. The willingness and ability to work frequent overtime and travel for work are a condition of employment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Requires no supervision and excels in all qualifications, is an expert in all tasks required as a Shipfitter and will provide mentoring to junior craftsman.
- Must be able to understand and perform the set up, alignment, and operation of all portable tools and hand tools used in the trade including plasma cutting machines and oxy/fuel torches.
- Expert in the following: shipboard plate (hull, deck, bulkhead) systems (repair/installation practices, procedures, alignments and material requirements), blue print reading and interpretation, MILSPEC and SUBSAFE requirements.
- Ability to fabricate and install complex components as directed by Technical Work documents.
- Produces quality fit-ups in difficult or adverse conditions.
- High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional vocational courses or technical school graduate; and/or military and/or civilian experience with Shipfitting practices in a repair department or shipyard.
- Must have the ability to obtain government base access.
- Knowledge and practical skills tests required.
- Deep Submergence Systems (SOC MCD A, B, and C), SUBSAFE Qualification. Welding qualifications (GTAW/SMAW).
- Must be able to obtain a Secret/Confidential security clearance.
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night.
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment.
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%.
- Noise is over 85 decibels.
- Light is intense/glare.
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks.
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases.
- Includes exposure to contaminants.
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures.
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people.
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUM**work.
- Lift 20-50 pounds.
- Work in confined spaces,kneel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences.
- Wear PPE for skin protection.
- Lift 10-25 pounds.
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects.
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead.
- Operate a motor vehicle.
- Lift up to 10 pounds.
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection.
Security Clearance Requirements
- Must have a Secret Security Clearance issued by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Applicant will be subject to periodic security investigations and must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US Government.
- In addition to the security clearance, this position may require an additional background screening for base access.
Oceaneering Marine Services Division can only hire “US Citizens” who are not dual citizens of any other country to work at its’ facilities. You can verify your citizenship with the Self-Check through E-Verify (uscis.gov), if available in your state of residence.
Oceaneering offers a comprehensive, total rewards package that includes competitive compensation, a flexible benefits package, work-life balance, and tailored career development programs that reflect its commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace.
- Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance
- Vacation, Sick Leave & Company Paid Holidays
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Insurance: Complimentary Basic Life & AD&D;
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Program Performance Reviews & Advancement Opportunities
- Personal Development & Learning Opportunities
- On-the-job Training, Skills Development & Certifications
- Employee Referral Program
- Corporate Sponsored Events & So Much More!
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Job ID: 14144
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time