Oceaneering Principal Product Engineer in Chandigarh, India
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Conceptualize, design and develop products in form of device, assembly or system and validate it to formulate all required technical specifications. Provide technical guidance to the Product Development team. Execute cross functional Engineering projects.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead, supervise & mentor team of engineers on product/prototype design & development assignments
- Execute complex design projects from start to delivery until the qualification of the product through testing, FEA etc.
- Study subsea oil & gas market opportunities to identify needs & problems, generate and screen ideas, make business cases.
- Benchmark competitor’s products of the relevant segment with reference to technology, features, construction, materials, reliability, quality, cost etc.
- Explore information available from all sources, including journals, online published content, subscribed newsletters etc. Conduct literature survey, Patent landscape analysis etc.
- Lead multiple projects at the same time, including less intensive cross-functional projects
- Direct team of Product Engineers to enable them handle design/development projects effectively
- Review work carried out by other Product engineers, Lead design reviews and concept brainstorming session
- Approve deliveries made by team
- Ascertain compliance of established Engineering processes by the product engineering team
- Define, review and implement functional processes and work towards continuous improvement
- Liaise with external research agencies/vendors or Institutes to develop technology and products/prototypes those provide strategic advantage to Oceaneering in the market place.
- Demonstrate deep expertise in robust product design & problem solving tools such as DFSS, DFMEA, Reliability scorecard, TRIZ, 8D and other six sigma tools.
- Act as single point of contact for one or more business units for product development projects
- Communicate with business units to understand their design & analysis needs
- Define scope of work
- Plan jobs for duration, cost, etc.
- Have resources allocated
- Share regular updates about work with client
- Monitor performance on relevant key performance indicators
- Approve timesheets of team members assigned
- Prepare & conduct technical trainings
- Maintain performance records for team members & provide performance feedback about team members to the line manager whenever needed
- Develop & maintain individual & team level competency matrices
- Identify individual training and development needs of the team members
- Participate in the annual SMART goal setting process for team members
- Keep abreast of industry trends and issues
- Evaluate need of resource (people, software etc.) and provide recommendations
- Should be open to travel as per business needs
- Work towards individual goals aligned with department and organizational objectives
- Ascertain team members accomplish their performance goals
- Comply to organizational HR policies and procedures
- Understand and adhere to organizational HSE policies and practices
- Guide team members about compliance to organizational policies laid out
Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems on the Company.
Eliminate waste of whatever form, to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances and practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
- This position will require to lead a team of Engineers / Engineering analysts.
- Manager - Product Development
Post Graduation (Master degree) in Mechanical Engineering with minimum six years of relevant industry new product development experience, OR
Graduation (Bachelor degree) in Mechanical Engineering with minimum eight years of relevant industry new product development experience
- Minimum one year of experience as a team lead
- Expert level knowledge on use of Solidworks and PLM/PDM software
- Strong knowledge of more than one relevant Mechanical industry codes/standards (e.g.; ASME, DNV, API, AISC etc.)
- Basic knowledge of CAD software
- Basic knowledge of project management software (e.g. Primavera)
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
An individual should demonstrate following competencies & qualities to be able to perform this role successfully:
- Communication skills
- Teamwork & Interpersonal skills
- Analytical, problem solving & decision making skills
- Organizing & planning skills
- Mentoring skills
- Leadership abilities
This position is considered OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered LIGHTwork.
- Lift up to 20 pounds
Climbing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and reaching
Lift up to 10 pounds
Repetitive movements of arms and hands
- Sit with back supported
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to advance in an international company. To apply, click 'Apply Now'.
Job ID: 13025
Location: Chandigarh, India
Full/Part Time: Full-Time